Sunday, April 17, 2016

Winston Duke Carpenter

Wow, it's been a while since I've blogged! I decided I want to try to keep up with this a little better now that family and friends want to keep up with us, and see ridiculously cute updates and pictures of Winston Duke. And blogging is a great way for me to journal what milestones we have with him, and as a family :) Here we go......

The Birth Story
Winston's due date was February 15th, and I went to the doctor on February 16th for my 40 week checkup. My doctor asked if I wanted to be induced later that week because I wasn't having any major contractions yet and I said YES!! So I was scheduled to be induced on Friday, February 19th. My parents drove to Houston on Thursday night, and we were scheduled to be at the hospital at 5am on Friday. Well, the nurse called me on Thursday night and said hang tight at home, we are completely full so don't come to the hospital until we tell you to. So Friday morning I kept calling every few hours to check the status of the open beds. It was the longest day of my life. Me, Jerrod and my parents were just sitting around the house all day waiting for the phone call. Finally I was getting so anxious Jerrod suggested we walk to Lola (this little diner down the street from our house) to get a milkshake, just to get out of the house. As we are in line ordering a milkshake and french fries the nurse called and said, "How soon can you get to the hospital? We have an open bed for you!" I said, "ummmm as fast as I can, we will be there in about 20-30 minutes". We actually don't live that far from the Med Center but it was Friday afternoon around 3:30 so I knew we might face some Houston traffic. We immediately told them to make that milkshake/french fries order To-Go so that we could head to the hospital. I waddled back home as fast as I could, my parents had my car ready for us, and we loaded our bags and took off. We got to the hospital around 4:00, and by the time we got to our Labor and Delivery room it was about 5:15pm, and they started the pitocin to induce labor. I remember on the way to the hospital we were talking about everything and so anxious, we couldn't believe we were really having the baby finally! We were going to finally meet Winston Duke!

At around 7:30 or 8:00pm I started feeling a few real contractions and asked for the epidural. I was not a fan of feeling the contractions at all so I got that as soon as I could. At this point I was about 3-4 cm dilated and 60% effaced. That evening I didn't progress a ton, it was a pretty slow process. By around midnight the doctor said they would slow my pitocin down so that I could get some sleep and they would check on me in the morning. I actually did sleep pretty well considering they were constantly checking on me throughout the night. At around 2:00am I was 4-5 cm so they came back around 6:00am and I was 6 cm. The nurse told me she would start checking on me more frequently since it usually goes faster from that point on. Sure enough by 8:00am I was 7cm, then 10cm by 9:30am. It was go time! I'll leave out all the details, but I pushed for 2 hours and Winston Duke Carpenter was born at 11:50am on February 20, 2016 weighing 9 pounds 5 ounces, and 23 inches long! He was so big, we couldn't believe it! Throughout the pregnancy they were estimating an 8 pound baby, even up to the night before. So we were very surprised! Jerrod and I immediately starting crying when we saw him. It was the most surreal experience. It's one of those things that you can't explain to someone and they wont truly understand until they've gone through it themselves. Jerrod went over to the area where they were cleaning him off, and weighing him, etc. Winston grabbed a hold of Jerrod's finger and Jerrod was bawling. It was the most precious thing I've ever seen. Then they brought Winston over to me to snuggle on my chest and it was amazing. I just remember Jerrod saying, "babe he's gorgeous, he's so beautiful" over and over again. I couldn't help but cry, and thank God as I looked down at the precious little face I was longing to meet.

I will say, I have a new respect for mommies out there! People would tell me if you can run a marathon you will be fine giving birth. Well, I have to say I'd much rather run a marathon, the two don't even compare. Pushing for 2 hours was the hardest thing I've ever done :) But oh so worth it! Winston Duke is a healthy, happy baby boy and we are completely obsessed. We both are changed forever since the moment we laid our eyes on him. We had lots of family come to the hospital and meet him. We spent two more nights in the hospital and were very eager to go home. When we got home my parents had dinner cooking in the crockpot, the house was all clean, and they watched Winston so we could get an uninterrupted nap for 2 hours. I remember when I woke up I felt like a new person! Here are a few more pictures from the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment